Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Friday, August 20, 2010

Morning Walk

Being virtuous and taking a morning walk on Bay Drive this morning, decided to take my camera along for some pix of mid-August flora along Kitty Hawk Bay.

I frequently drive past this sunflower patch, now past peak, but cheery in determination to live.

The sun rising cast a beautiful light on the clouds and water...
The Live Oaks are beautiful...
Not sure what this is...but something must eat those fruits...
This annoying weed makes a pretty flower, but is killer with thorns and tough to eradicate in a garden bed.
Mimosa full of pods....
Trumpet vine with pods...

This garden mess in front of my house....I love the orange and blue. The Rosemary is insane. I have learned to appreciate its messiness and sprawling...the butterflies don't seem to mind.

2 comments:

Woodduck said...

Enjoy your blog...thanks.
Have you noticed something killing the tips of some Live Oaks up there? I first noticed many round 'things' attatched to the ends of many limbs. They were easy to detatch and were full of liquid when smashed. There were just too many and out of reach. Weeks later the tips of my Live Oaks, where these things were, began to die. I've noticed up the street that others had the problem as well. The little round things turned brown and dried out. What's up with this? I love my Live Oaks.
Down south a bit from you. What to do?

GardenGoddess said...

hmmm...I hadn't noticed that. I know that the pines here have had this white powdery mildew disease very hard this year. I will look on my walk tomorrow!