Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Sunday, March 16, 2014

Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.  ~Doug Larson


It was the first day I really got out in the garden yesterday...I always feel hopeful about a new season and bleak about all the work to come all at the same time! I wandered over to the garden section of the  big box store who had teased me with cool weather veggies when I drove in.  I picked up two varieties of  kale, Chinese cabbage, radicchio, and mustard to get started, oh and a flat of violas too. The whole garden sort of got away from me last year with too much school work and not enough garden time. There is a bunch of overgrowth that needs pulling. But I started with just a few of the boxes.
 
The plum is blooming its pretty white flowers which really stand out where there is no green.

 
Violas make instant cheer!!

 
The sky was glorious blue in contrast to the red buds appearing on the trees.

 Four boxes planted with a feeling of satisfaction. A forecast of cold and rainy weather for the next few days will give them a good soaking.

 
Lazy dogs pretended they weren't keeping an eye on me....
A pleasant and satisfying day spent outside. :)


In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.  ~Margaret Atwood

No comments: