Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Flyers....

Lots of flyers in the garden...more bees than I can count.

I am forever fascinated when watching the butterflies feed... with their proboscis....which I looked up because I am a big word weirdo...
Etymology: Latin, from Greek proboskis, from pro- + boskein to feed

A rest from flying....


I swear this one has a toothy grin if you look up close....
The first Monarch of the year...
Find these resting on mulch or the wood deck all the time...
Future flyer....

No comments: