Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Sunday, January 30, 2011

First Garden Work Day!

The day dawned with a foggy orangey sky, with this guy furiously tapping all over the trees in the yard.
No rain or snow and temps near 50...made for a good day to wash the salt and yuck off the truck. Lot's of people had the same idea as the car wash did a brisk business.
I was already feeling really "springy" after picking up these primrose at Produce Junction in South Jersey, yesterday. They are sunshine and springtime in the center of the table.

My original plan was to spend the day with some quilting and garden planning in front of the fireplace....but the dogs running around with my son in the yard, made me venture outside and see what was going on in the garden. I actually found some carrots, not mushy still hanging on out there...I let them be for now.
My little furry companion was very interested in my poking around.
Kind of a cook fungus thing had attached itself to the side of the garden box.
Lot's and LOTS of holes from aforementioned furry companion...who is not happy to let the voles be.
Will need a couple yards of dirt to fill all her handiwork!
It's a good thing she's cute!
Inspired...I bagged 4 waste bags full of fall and winter "stuff." Began to scope out the garden rotation. Happy to see the perennials that I didn't get to in the fall all have evidence of "life."

The forecast for Wednesday is downright balmy! Must repeat my mantra..."It's too early to start seeds!"

No comments: