Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

AHCHOO!! Pass the Claritin Please!


There is yellow-green everywhere!!! Sneezing just a fact of life now... no escaping it!  Undaunted, I ventured into the yard early this morning before working. I mulched around some plum tomatoes that went in last night ...at the beach garden the yard is 100% sand, so everything planted gets a big wad of compost mixed in. Over time the beds are becoming more plant friendly and the mulch holds the moisture a bit when the North Carolina sun bakes down in the summer.

 I noticed that the Hydrangea has a few tiny flowers forming.
The first strawberry...a ways from ripeness, but a harbinger of good things to come, I hope!

I also noticed, for the first time, the Aucuba japonica ''Variegata''
is flowering. It's the first time that has happened, I didn't even know it got flowers, which now are to be followed by red berries. I just like it because it is a good shrub for shade with colorful yellow and green foliage that really brightens up a dark space.


Meanwhile back on the mainland, GoddessSupport snapped this pic of a yellow form female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail dining on the Homestead Purple Verbena in the front bed...the first of the season

1 comment:

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Oh dear, just seeing that much pollen makes my eyes water. I hope it subsides soon, and you can enjoy clean Claritin-free spring air.