Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Macro Things

One of my goals this growing season is to learn how to actually use the macro lens on my Canon 5D...the camera a wonderful present from GoddessSupport, and admitedly a little more camera than I can figure out right now.

Snapped these red cabbage leaves, that are about 2/3 larger than they were last weekend...I love how the macro lens shows you things that are imperceptible to our eye alone...at least my over 40 eyes!

It's been a beautiful weekend and while officially the first of spring, it seemed more like the first of summer as the weekend warrier fisherpeople returned to the "opened" Avalon Pier! A sure sign that winter has left the area, although the water temp is 49 a few brave surfers in wetsuits enjoyed the day... My son's friend admitting that the moment the water hit his face, it was the biggest brain freeze of his life.



I was happy to see 2 pairs of eagles making nests out over the Albemarle Sound, near the 3 mile bridge.

I know it's only March but....I am always pushing the envelope in the garden and planting at the earliest. I couldn't resist these geraniums at the big box store. Since the overwintered geraniums are sprouting green and the forecast temps are not going below 45, I took a chance. Really the worst thing that happens is they remain in suspended animation until a little further into April.

My Hellebore is...just perfect. I love this picture~


The Hydrangea has popped a mass of green leaves- seemingly overnight! I guess the temps in the 70's have awakened everthing from winter sleep.
There were 4 different types of bees on the blooming Rosemary...love that macro view of the bee~
Off to the Dare County Master Gardeners Butterfly Garden...to see what's popping there....then back to the yard cleanup!

No comments: