Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bloom Day...Sort Of

I know a purist would stick to flowers for Bloom Day, but what the heck- my garden is eclectic and so is my Bloom Day!

As you enter the fenced part of the garden, the Mr Stripey tomatoes are quite happy across the lane from the volunteer dill just out of range on the right.

For some reason this Zipper Spider thought the celery was a great place to start a zipper...he was there yeterday but had moved along today...
This part of the garden will be a jungle by August ...I suspect with no visible paths....there are about 7 or 8 baby watermelons already! Luckily I am a big watermelon fan.
I love the cherry colored Yarrow against the Bright Lights Chard...add a little fallen over Bee Balm just for messy effect.
GoddessSupport spied this Eyed Elator (Click Beetle). I have since read that they like to munch on carrots and beets. My beets are about quarter sized so I will have to keep my eye out. I have a second sowing of carrots that have just sprouted. One, yes one, sprouted from the first, so I tried again...so look out Mr Elator!
Assassin bug...eat all the Japanese Beetles you like and we will peacefully coexist.
Baby Spaghetti Squash with Flower.
Yellow Woolly Bear Spilosoma Virginica Caterpillar...turns into a tiger moth, later
Baby Pattypan Squash with Blossom...
There are about 5 ears of corn developing so far!
My best Dragonfly pic yet, I think....I like the sun on his wings.
Lots of figs.
Corn and tomatoes and Bee Balm in the sprinkle....there really hasn't been much in the way of rain.
That's all for today!

4 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

Blooms is blooms; yours just happened to have veggies attached. Good job.

cherry said...

wishing all of this was on my table right now like a big basket of figs.

hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Ginny said...

Great dragonfly pic! And I'm envious of your volunteer dill. I have had no success with dill for the past two years but don't know why. Any dill-growing tips would be appreciated!

Melody said...

My watermelons and cucumbers are taking over the walkway too:) I don't have any figs yet, maybe soon.