Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

After the Gardener Goofs Off...

Played the entire Memorial Day weekend, with very little in the way of serious gardening...while I was playing the little tomato plant is going crazy....it is only about 6 inches high, and already has produced more than a dozen sugary tomatoes.

The Dill is over 5 feet tall...and it was all volunteer seeded from last years plants!

A wascally wabbit is eating just a little of EVERY RED STRAWBERRY!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!
The peas are just about exhausted...they will be replaced with some kind of beans by weeks end.
My first cucumber(s)!! There are two but only one in this shot... they are seedless-burpless....so far no critter has touched them.
I have read on several other gardening blogs, that people are not seeing as many bees this year. I am happy to see alot of bees at work this morning, including this one visiting the cantaloupe blossoms.
The first morning glory is greeting the day!
I like this happy little vignette. Near the deck steps, it's a mixed bag of a new knockout rose, astilbe, some pansies that are on borrowed time, several hydrangea, blue rug juniper and a little zinnia.... I try to be an organized planter...but messy cottage seems to be my garden style. My apologies to the arty colorists....I want to plant EVERYTHING, or at least one of everything...so this is what you get! ha

No comments: