Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bird, Berries and Butterfly

After spreading 2 yards of mulch these evening, I sat with satisfaction, surveying my shovel work....mulch makes everything look better! A hummingbird graced me with his presence and I was feeling cheerful....and then, an unassuming grey bird. looked like maybe a catbird, landed on one of the tomato cages and snapped up a white cabbage butterfly for dinner... not done, it went over and helped itself to some blueberries (now I know where my berries are going) Then...not full yet, it snatched up a worm out of the tomato patch! I was incensed....have all the cabbage whites you want, but leave the worms and berries alone!

I did get some good pics this week and replaced the hopelessly misplaced card reader....

The Magnolias are just elegant, and they smell great too!

The Cherokee Purple tomato had one fruit!

The delicate Dill flowers have opened....soon to be populated by caterpillars galore....
GoddessSupport home from NYC and checking for ripe strawberries...
The Roma tomatoes have grown several inches this week.
The Butterfly Bush is just ready to explode into bloom...

No comments: