Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May Day!

Today this Mother kept a close eye on her babies as they fledged....just 12-14 days from hatch to empty nest! I wonder what she will do with all the free time. Watching her has been interesting...she kept a keen eye on her nest, built near our trash containers, anytime anyone came near, waiting patiently for the all clear to get on with the wormy business at hand. Now the fledglings will learn how to be birds under the protective cover of the bushes and brambles nearby.
Elsewhere in the gardens- the beach Hydrangea is just starting to bloom. This is one of my most favorite blooms in the garden, the clear blue is gorgeous against the deep green leaves, I think.
The snapdragons seem unusually cheerful as they reach for the sunshine.

I have no idea what rose this is...I am challenged to save the tags that would have identified it. But even anonymously- it's a beaut!

Fingers crossed for peas....the first pod appeared on Thursday, and the plants are loaded with blooms....I am keeping them well watered in hopes that they will survive this weekend of temps in the 90's and higher humidity.

My Wisteria is a good three weeks behind the rest in the area...now just opening magnificent lavender blooms.



Two front loader bucketfuls of "black gold" are in the back of my pick-up waiting to fill the raised bed veggie garden expansion. I moved a few perennial in anticipation of moving the fence. Tomorrow I will be a shoveling and planting fool....can't think of a better way to spend a May Sunday!

No comments: