Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Few For Tuesday

But for work, my garden would be "perfect," but then again I would have less $$ for plants!! Guess I will keep working to support my plant habit!

There are about a zillion different bugs on this shrub...lots of little flies, a spider that is in a long funnel web that I am too short to get a picture of...the fragrance is chokingly sweet...and clearly VERY attractive to all manner of insects.
I loved the way this bloom is resting against the shed....
This little guy and I had a stare off...he won, with more imposing eyeballs!
Now the thing is...I really don't like Mimosa Trees, I remember them as a kid in Philadelphia...kind of a weedy thing. I was surprised to read this evening, that they are attractive to hummingbirds...I have not noticed this, but will be checking closer. It depends on who you ask...some people are ready to fire bomb this plant, as invasive and horrible and others sing it's praises...If nothing else the blooms are cool looking.
I have an entire bed of these poised to "pop" in the next week...I like the double bloom.

1 comment:

joco said...

Hello there,
Have been browsing your blog and wanted to say hi.
I have that same double day lily and it is my favourite too.
I see that you still have the seven-spotted ladybird over there.We (in the UK) are now being swamped by your harlequin multi-spotted variety.
Our seven-spotters are fast disappearing (obviously emigrating to Virginia, :-)