Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Flora and Fauna




A butterfly that I can't recall seeing before-the "Zebra Swallowtail," a kite swallowtail, named for their triangular wings and long sharp tails. The Zebra occurs only near paw paw or its relatives hmmm research for another day...what the heck is a "Paw Paw?" Are there Paw Paw's near me??? Is that a good thing???

And what about this butterfly...why are it's antennae red? Why are it's legs green? Why is there "fur" running down it's back. Nature is crazy!




We have several Magnolia's on the property...I don't know much about them, as they were really not hardy in the NJ garden. I have noticed that the blooms often have ants, but they are velvety smooth.


Son of Peter Cottontail...cute, but I know he's eating my stuff when I am not looking.


Another thing I have to learn...the care and maintenance of apple trees. It's funny when you buy a home that has more than the standard builder's shrubs, you happily inherit things you have no idea how to take care of...but there is little time for research...will wait 'til winter when I am garden longing.


And finally, the digger extraordinaire...Sophie the Welshie. Sophie is 4 and in her young life was born in South Carolina, flew to Philadelphia International Airport to become a South Jersey tomato, then moved to the beaches of NC, and now the Tidewater. She has adapted with each move, refining her digging techniques to the soil type available. On the beach she could dig massive holes in seconds flat, since our yard was sand. It actually was self preservation in a way, the cooler sand was a great place to lay on a lazy summer day.

I would guess by far that this yard is her favorite...the moles-voles trail through the expanse of lawn, and keep her entertained (excavating) for hours. She also LOVES the tree stumps. The world was stopped as she furiously tried to get the unknown thing under this log. It works out...she can dig to her hearts desire as longas she stays out of my flower beds. Unfortunately, she has taught,by example, the web footed Weimaraner how to dig as a hobby. So you have any idea how much dirt a web footed dog can move?

Since my dear husband usually accompanies me on these walks around the yard, I encouraged him to "guest post." Check out the spider pic posted by "Goddess Support." I can promise you this...it is unlikely that he will EVER be as wordy as me...

No comments: