Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Monday, June 22, 2009

Why

The more I look at nature, the more I wonder "Why?"
Why do so many flying things like red?
Why does that deep, rich, satiny almost black newly opened petunia turn to a lighter color?
Why are these antennae curled downwards?
Why won't this "hunter" dog chase the rabbits (aka Evil Echinacea Eaters) from my yard?
Why the magnificent irridescent wings?
Why do I always find one of these sitting on the fig leaves?
Why oh why are there slugs??
Why two orange stripes and not three?
Why does this juvenile skink have a blue tail...and why does it go away when it is an adult?

Why, despite being planting in exceptional (I thought) soil with wonderful amendments, won't my pepper plant stop turning yellow and grow???

No comments: