Chronicaling the lunacy of taming three acres in Tidewater Virginia, one square foot at a time!

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves. ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers


Friday, June 12, 2009

Toads and Toad Stools


This little guy lives in the pot of geraniums by my front porch steps...if I tap the pot with my foot as I go by, he peeks his head up. Sometimes he is burrowed into the soil with just his eyes and nose sticking out. He is a good "pet" that requires nothing from me, but is almost always faithfully waiting for my arrival.

Another faithful friend, lives in the veggie garden under a beach towel that I keep out there to kneel on. I guess it keeps him from being someone's lunch.

I came upon these in the mossy part of the lawn under our big trees. I love how the red contrasts with the green moss. I think it is Vermillion Waxcap, Hygrocybe miniata...but to tell you the truth, when I started looking I was astounded at the number of mushroom, fungi, toadstools there are. This name seemed to fit, as these are really really small with a cap smaller than a dime.
I gave up trying to identify this one, it is really pretty and looks like something that could be found on a beach.

Now something much more up my alley- flowers!
Asclepias curassavica
Common Names: scarlet milkweed, bloodflower, silkweed, Indian root

Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

Rabbits and hedgehogs think new echinacea shoots are a tasty treat...ya think??? I get aggravated every time I go out to the front garden bed. I heard on a gardening program today that blood meal sprinkled around will form a perimeter that they won't cross. I will be heading out to the box store to get some of that today!

No comments: